I took my dog for a walk the other day.
(Note: those of you who helped me pick Murphy as the name for my new dog, sadly I was reminded a few days later that a dog of that name bit my brother several years ago. So I had to go back to the list. I selected Watson, which also fits this dog’s rather goofy personality.)
So anyway, I took Watson for a walk the other day. And as I was dragging him away from his fascination with a crumpled leaf in the road, I thought about how the world must seem to our dogs.
As we walked around the neighborhood, this “dictionary” of doggie views of the world came to me.
1. Those brown, crunchie things all over the ground (dried leaves) – definition: something that might taste good.
2. Those tall green thingies (bushes) – definition: my favorite place to pee.
3. Those gray clumps of stringy thingies (Spanish moss that has fallen from trees) – definition: my second favorite place to pee.
4. That delicious-smelling pile of gooey stuff that makes Mom yell “leave it!” (three-day-old roadkill) – definition: something that definitely will taste good.
5. That black round, tall thingie (trashcan) – definition: one of several things Mom mysteriously will not let me pee on (I’m pretty sure my neighbors would not appreciate their garages smelling like my dog’s pee when they bring their trashcans in.)
6. Those shiny round thingies with black tubes around them (car tires) – definition: another thing Mom won’t let me pee on (ditto explanation from above).
7. That running lady who smells so good (sweaty, jogging neighbor) – definition: my new best friend if Mom would only let me sniff her in the appropriate places.
8. That interesting spot in the yard that smells so good (skunk spray) – definition: my favorite place to roll.
9. Those funny-looking cats with bushy tails (squirrels) – definition: demons from hell that must be chased up a tree or over the fence.
Any definitions you think your dog would like to add to this dictionary? 😉
Happy Holidays from Watson and me!!
(A friend managed to snap this pic by bribing him with a treat!)
And if you haven’t already done so, grab yourself a copy of my fun Christmas novella, A Mayfair Christmas Carol.
A Christmas extravaganza in Mayfair, Florida, complete with an ice skating rink. What could go wrong?
When excavation for the skating rink uncovers a decades-old skeleton, its secrets threaten more than the town’s Christmas plans. Worried about her friends in her adopted town and feeling responsible since the let’s-attract-more-tourists idea was hers initially, dog trainer Marcia Banks is determined to help her police detective boyfriend solve the mystery—whether he wants her help or not. Perhaps she can wheedle more out of the townspeople than he can.
But will she and her Black Lab, Buddy, be able to keep the ghost of Christmas past from destroying what is left of Mayfair’s founding family, or will her meddling make matters worse?
AMAZON APPLE NOOK KOBO